Comments

1. Techy says

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I wish you all the very best in all your endeavours.
    By the way, I like your simplicity and versatalileness.

I am also a system admin but mostly jack of all master of none kinda thing.

warm regards,
    Raghu

2. LV says

Thank you for the post.

I have a question, do you think it’s possible to create a list where many IP addresses can be entered and the rule above checks the list or do I have to add each IP address individually.

I hope my question makes sense.

3. noahrama says

This is the best way to view chain numbers

iptables -L INPUT –line-numbers

you can also substitute with OUTPUT etc

And you have to use “-t nat” if your rule was configured for nat.

example:
    sudo iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp –dport 80 -j DNAT –to-destination 1.1.1.1:5555

sudo iptables -t nat -D OUTPUT 1

5. Mukesh Tilwani says

After deleting a rule, when i restart iptables that rule come again….please suggest

6. Sumanta says

Hi All,

I am creating a static nat rule in iptables using the command

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING 1 -j SNAT -p ip -s 1.1.1.10/32 –to-source 2.2.2.30-2.2.2.30 -o eth2

After executing the above command i am able to observe the source translation happening and also it is listed in the iptables nat list.

After I remove the rule by executing the below command

iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -j SNAT -p ip -s 1.1.1.10/32 –to-source 2.2.2.30-2.2.2.30 -o eth2

The entry in the iptables nat is deleted, but i am still able to observe the source translation happening from 1.1.1.10 to 2.2.2.30.

Please suggest what i need to do to delete the entry completely from the nat table or did i missed something.

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPT all — 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    ACCEPT icmp — 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
    ACCEPT all — 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
    ACCEPT tcp — 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state NEW tcp dpt:22
    REJECT all — 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
    DROP tcp — 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:25

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination
    REJECT all — 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination
    DROP tcp — 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:25

How do I remove the line
    ACCEPT tcp — 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:25
    from the first chain? I’m a bit of a noob!

Thanks

Matt

8. hobeandor says

@ Matt
    read the comments, it’s explained there…
    just as a one time bonus You can try this (according to the comments before me):

if it’s the first line (as it can be seen in your output)
    # iptables -D ACCEPT 1

9. Paul Valdez says

Hi. I have a task to add users workstations ip to the iptables and then remove them after they are done without interruptions to service. I need to write a bash script to add/remove. I am using RHEL 6.Can you give me some insight on how to accomplish this ?

10. Ahsan Yousuf says

@Matt: you want to remove rule # 7 from input CHAIN, so that your command would be.
    iptables -D INPUT 7

Simple as that.

11. sandeep says

Good tutorial.
    Incase the copy paste doesn’t work for few.

CENTOS-RedHat
    cmd = iptables -vnL –line-numbers | grep “IP ADDRESS”

iptables -D INPUT 225

I’m trying to delete the rule created with this command:
    iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -m multiport –dports 80,443 -m set –match-set fail2ban-forum src -j REJECT –reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
    using this:
    iptables -D INPUT -p tcp -m multiport –dports 80,443 -m set –match-set fail2ban-forum src -j REJECT –reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
    but I get:
    iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

I can delete the rule by number, but I’m trying to automate the the delete and there is no way to determine the rule position.

Any idea why this doesn’t work?